Protection of resources and healthy living
During planning and construction of the Holistic Living houses a lot of importance was attached to sustainable construction and the use of ecological building materials.
The building materials were considered during their full life cycle, starting with their exploitation and production to their use, maintenance and convertibility all the way to their demolition, disposal or recyclability, respectively. Building materials such as insulations are reduced to the absolute minimum requirement and, if possible, are not glued so they can be reused or disposed of at the end of their life cycle.
The materials used for building not only distinguish themselves through their full recyclability but also through their indoor climate properties. Natural materials such as wood create a good indoor climate and also support healthy living. The use of loam rendering in the staircase and the upper level contributes to the improved humidity control.
Effiziente Haustechnik und natürliche Materialien sorgen für eine ressourcenfreundliche Bauweise.
Natürliche Materialien garantieren eine gesunde Wohnumweltund sorgen somit für Lebensqualität und Nachhaltigkeit.
CO2 reduction through intelligent planning
Apart from a healthy and pleasant indoor climate, focus was given during the planning process to the reduction of energy and resource consumption. In order to achieve these goals a number of planning decisions were taken early in the draft which improve the carbon dioxide economy of the houses. Amongst those are:
- The orientation of the window units towards the south, southeast and southwest
- Closed surfaces towards the north
- Overhanging upper levels and roofs to provide shadow during times of high solar altitude in summer and generate solar heat recovery during winter
- All windows are equipped with rigid sun protection elements above the windows and electrically controllable, external sun protection hangings.
- All walls, ceilings and windows are highly insulated (U-values between 0.11 and 0.15 W/m K, windows 0.9 W/m K) in order to minimize heat losses during winter.
- Use of wood as construction material for the inner and outer walls, façade lining, ceilings and floors combined with the use of paper flocculation insulation (Isofloc): thereby using the beneficial properties of wood with regards to carbon dioxide-neutral exploitation, high specific heat (providing heat protection during summer), and benefiting from regional availability, trouble-free reusability and the avoidance of the need to apply toxic admixtures.
- The only parts of the building which cannot be made of wood are the cellars made from concrete.
As a result, the project manages to combine mobility (EV) and immobility (architecture) in a trend-setting fashion. The houses create a synergy effect between construction and traffic, which picks up and combines aspects of comfort and health in an exemplary manner. The appreciation of natural forces form the living culture of the future.
CONNECTIVITY OF INSIDE AND OUTSIDE
- Integration of indoor and outdoor spaces
- Integration of the buildings into the landscape
- Maximum level of transparency between garden and living room
COMFORT AND WELL-BEING
- Generous room layout
- Extensive views
- High living quality in community spaces
- Calm areas of retreat and privacy
- Heating of the rooms via floor heating and in the bathroom through additional towel radiators
- Bus-system allows an increase of energy efficiency through building automation
- Reduction of energy and resource consumption through efficient building equipment and appliances
- Provision of more primary as well as final energy than what will be required for usage
- Usage of regenerative energies (solar and geothermal energy)
- Reduction of the heat losses through controlled ventilator
- Energy management system to reduce the daily peak loads
- Installation of energy-efficient household appliances and lighting as well as mountings with low water consumptions
- Gray-water recovery unit for toilet flushing
- Installation of a rainwater cistern for gardening water